Internationally renowned and disciple of great masters, Ngan Siu-Mui was born in Hong Kong and has been living in Montreal since 1988. After her very first 1981 solo exhibition in Hong Kong City Hall, she has been acclaimed as an artist conversant with Chinese calligraphy, painting, seal carving and poetry. Dedicated to her art for more than thirty years, her talent and versatility created a realm of superb artworks.
Under western cultural influence, her work has evolved into a unique style. She uses mixed oriental and occidental media and techniques to infuse the energy and elegance of Chinese brush movements into new substrates. This contrasts dramatically with her traditional use of classical Chinese watercolor.
Her work can be found in collections worldwide: Autralia (Redland District Council), Canada (Canadian Museum of Civilization), China (Record of History Museum), Japan (Japan’s Coalition of International Calligraphers Association), Korea (Cultural Art Research Institute), Taiwan (Art Education Center and History Museum).
- Solo exhibitions and lectures in universities, museums, and cultural organizations: Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and United States
- 2011 ‒ China ‒ Chosen to be one of the sixty Domestic and Oversea Chinese who have made outstanding contribution to culture in China and around the world. Her portrait is featured on a stamp in the album of the World Chinese Models
- 2010 ‒ Montréal, qc, ca ‒ Commissioned by the Canadian Red Cross to create a watercolor chinese painting illustrating the Seven Fundamental Principles of the organization
- 2005 ‒ China ‒ Invited by the Chinese Ministry of National Affairs, as one of the main speakers in the International Calligraphy Conference of Ngoc-On Cup in Beijing. Her paper was also published
- 2002 ‒ China ‒ Her calligraphy was selected to be carved into a stela by the Calligraphy Stele Committee of Wei River
- 2002,2000,1999 ‒ Montréal, qc, ca ‒ Three times organizer and promoter of the Month of Chinese Calligraphy
- 2001 ‒ Québec, qc, ca ‒ Xi’an Exhibition: the Quebec Civilization Museum advertising campaign used a calligraphic visual featuring Ngan Siu-Mui brushwork.
- 1999 ‒ Québec, qc, ca ‒ Was awarded the Certificat québécois de la citoyenneté pour le rapprochement culturel by Le Gouvernement du Québec
- 1999 ‒ Seoul, Korea ‒ Medal of Excellence from the Asia Art Award Selection Committee
- 1998 ‒ Québec, ca ‒ The Red Violin, the Canadian drama-film directed by François Girard made a dramatic display of her calligraphic brushwork
- 1997 ‒ Montréal, qc, ca ‒ Featured as a prominent artist in the documentary film Merging Colors. The film was shown in the Festival International des films d’Art de Montréal
- 1991 ‒ Montréal, qc, ca ‒ Founder of the non-profit society, the Traditional Chinese Culture Society of Montreal
- 1998,94,83 ‒ Publications: Chinese Calligraphy, Abstract Art, Mind Painting (1998); The Art of Ngan Siu-Mui and her Group (1994); The Art of Ngan Siu-Mui (1983)